Invisalign Cary NC
You’ve never been happy with your smile. Perhaps your parents could not afford braces when you were growing up. Or maybe you had braces as a teenager and neglected to follow your orthodontist’s instructions to wear your retainer and now your teeth have moved a bit. Whatever the reason, it is not uncommon for adults to seek orthodontic care. In fact, the American Association of Orthodontists states that twenty percent of their patients are older than 18.
There are more reasons to get Invisalign in Cary, North Carolina than improving your smile — although that can be a welcoming side effect of treating other jaw disorders. An improperly aligned jaw can cause numerous problems, including facial pain, swallowing and chewing issues. If your teeth are not properly aligned and overlap, they can be hard to clean making it easier for your teeth to decay or for gum disease to appear.
If you would like to explore orthodontic options, contact the team at Alliance Dentistry Orthodontists to discover the adult-friendly procedures available to you, including Invisalign in our Cary NC office.
There are considerations for you to address and discuss with the orthodontist. For example:
- Your bones are no longer growing, so you will not be able to change the structure of your jaw without surgery.
- It will take longer than a child or teenager for your treatment, the average time is around two years.
- If your orthodontist is concerned about gum disease, you may also have to see a periodontist to make sure the treatment will not be impacted by any bone loss already present from gum disease.
Braces will likely be a key part of your treatment plan. If you are concerned that the stainless steel brackets will be unsightly, know that there are other options. Instead of the stainless steel brackets, your orthodontist may use clear plastic or tooth-colored ceramic brackets on the teeth that are visible. Talk to your orthodontist about the pros and cons to each of these types of brackets.
Another option is a lingual appliance, which is attached to the back of your teeth, thus making the brackets and wires invisible. The disadvantage to this type of appliance is it can be irritating to your tongue and interfere with your speech. They do cost more and are more difficult to take care of than the other bracketed braces.
Invisalign many Cary NC patients have consist of a series of removable, clear trays that fit over your teeth. You are required to wear each tray for a specific period of time, for an average of 20 hours a day for two weeks before proceeding to the next tray. This process can take from six months to a year and a half. These trays work well if you have minor crowding or spacing problems. If you have severe bite issues, these trays may not be a good option for you.
Getting braces as an adult is more common than you may think. At Alliance Dentistry, we understand that it may be difficult to come in during the day for an appointment, so we offer early morning or evening appointments to help accommodate your busy schedule. To find out if you are a candidate for Invisalign Cary NC residents recommend, contact our office today to schedule a consultation.
Common Myths About Invisalign
If you dream about having straighter teeth, you may want to consider Invisalign in Cary, NC. However, you may have heard various untruths about the treatment that are making you reluctant to get it. Here are a few common myths about Invisalign that you shouldn’t believe.
- Invisalign can only treat minor problems. There have been many advancements in Invisalign technology over the years. It can now successfully treat various complex issues, such as overbites, underbites, crowding and gaps.
- You only have to wear your Invisalign aligner for a few hours a day. Unlike traditional metal braces, you can remove your Invisalign aligners yourself. However, you should only do this when you eat, drink, brush and floss your teeth. It is critical to wear your aligners at least 22 hours a day. Otherwise, you may not achieve the results you want.
- You can’t eat many foods with Invisalign. This could not be farther from the truth. One main advantage Invisalign has over meta braces is that you can eat anything you want. Instead of worrying about popcorn or other snacks getting stuck between your braces, you can just remove your aligners while you eat.
- Invisalign takes longer to work. This is false. In fact, you will likely see results faster with Invisalign. Traditional metal braces take between 18 to 24 months to complete while Invisalign can typically be completed in 12 months. However, how long the treatment takes to work will depend on the severity of your issue. If you, for example, have severe crowding, you may have to wear Invisalign aligners longer than a year.
- You can just get Invisalign through the mail. Some people may order Invisalign online to save money. However, these appliances are not as effective as what you would get at your orthodontist’s office. To get the best results, your orthodontist must plan and supervise your treatment.
- Invisalign is uncomfortable. This is another myth about Invisalign. In reality, Invisalign is designed to be much more comfortable than traditional metal braces. They don’t have brackets or wires and can be removed while you eat.
- Only adults can use Invisalign. Although the marketing towards Invisalign is geared towards adults, teens can use the treatment too. Teens who do not want to deal with metal braces can opt for these clear aligners.