Tooth whitening in Apex NC is any process that will make teeth appear whiter. There are two ways in which this can be accomplished. A material can bleach the tooth, meaning it changes the natural tooth color. Bleaching products contain peroxides that eliminate both surface and deep stains. Whitening products that are non-bleaching, by contrast, contain ingredients that remove surface stains only.
Apex NC teeth whitening products can be applied by dentists in a Apex NC dental office, given by Apex NC dentists for home use or purchased over-the counter. Whitening products can be classified into two groups:
- Peroxide-containing bleaching agents
Carbamide peroxide, used in many bleaching products, breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and urea, with hydrogen peroxide being the active bleaching ingredient. A product with 10% carbamide peroxide produces approximately 3.5 % hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide oxidizes stains, making the teeth whiter. Both professional and at-home products, such as bleaching trays and white strips, utilize peroxide-containing bleaching products.
- Whitening toothpastes
Whitening toothpastes contain polishing or chemical agents that remove surface stains and help prevent new stains from forming. Many brands of whitening toothpastes are available over-the-counter and are an excellent follow-up to in- office or at-home Apex NC teeth whitening procedures.
At-Home Whitening Trays
Our Apex, NC dentists believe that the at-home whitening process provides the most successful outcome in the long run. One reason is because of ongoing use. In addition, because small amounts of bleach remain within tooth structure for 36 hours, each time a new dose of bleach is applied to a tooth retaining the previous day’s peroxide, its effect is greater. Whitening trays are convenient, portable and reasonably priced.
Once the decision is made that tooth whitening is an appropriate course of treatment, our dentists in Apex, NC will make impressions of your teeth. Custom -fitted trays made of a flexible plastic material are then constructed to intimately fit your teeth. Along with these trays, our dentists in Apex, NC will dispense whitening gel and a storage case as part of your kit. Instructions are given on how to fill the trays with the correct amount of gel and a schedule is recommended to achieve the best results. Generally, wearing the trays for one hour a day for two to three weeks yields a desired outcome.
Advantages of At-Home Whitening Trays
- Our dentists in Apex, NC can dispense whitening gels with a much higher concentration of peroxide than available over-the counter, leading to more rapid results.
- Trays help ensure that the hydrogen peroxide stays in contact with the teeth, for maximum whitening in Apex NC.
- Trays help prevent saliva from coming into contact with the bleaching agent (which could dilute its strength.)
- Trays minimize the amount of bleaching agent that can leak out and irritate gums.
Side Effects of At-Home Whitening Trays
There are only two commonly seen side effects of tooth whitening with peroxide products:
- Tooth sensitivity
Usually occurring early on in the Apex NC teeth whitening process, it can often be prevented by brushing with a sensitive type toothpaste for two weeks prior to the whitening procedure.
- Gum irritation.
This may be caused by an ill-fitting tray, allowing the active beaching ingredient to spill out onto the gums. A proper fitting tray and using the correct amount of whitening gel will reduce the likelihood of gingival tissues becoming irritated.
Both tooth sensitivity and gum irritation are typically temporary and disappear once treatment is halted. Interested in this treatment? Want to learn more? Schedule a consultation with Alliance Dentistry for the best in teeth whitening Apex NC has to offer!
How to Maintain Professional Tooth Whitening Results
If you recently got your teeth professionally whitened at your dentist’s office, you likely want to show off your pearly whites to everyone. However, if you plan to maintain your results for a while, it is important to take extra good care of your teeth. Here are a few tips on maintaining your result from tooth whitening in Apex, NC.
- Choose your foods and beverages wisely. What you eat and drink can have a big impact on how your teeth look. To maintain your tooth whitening results, limit your consumption of foods and drinks, like coffee, red wine, pasta and berries. These foods and beverages are dark in color and can stain your teeth quickly. Other foods, like strawberries, carrots and apples, can increase saliva production and remove staining particles from your teeth.
- Continue to brush and floss daily. If excess plaque builds up on your teeth, they may start to look darker. As such, you should maintain a proper oral hygiene routine. Remember to brush and floss your teeth every day. Think about switching to an electric toothbrush, as it can clean your teeth more thoroughly.
- Stop smoking. If you need yet another reason to quit smoking, do it for your teeth. Tobacco does not increase your risk of gum disease, bad breath and oral cancer. It can also stain your teeth. By quitting smoking, you can extend your teeth whitening results and improve your overall health.
- Use a whitening toothpaste. If you have just whitened your teeth, it may be time to switch to a whitening toothpaste. These toothpastes contain whitening agents, helping you maintain your results longer.
- Schedule regular dental cleanings. Brushing and flossing your teeth regularly can help you maintain healthy and white teeth. However, you still might not be able to remove all the plaque on your own. A dentist, on the other hand, can. He or she will used specialized tools and products to remove deep plaque from your teeth, giving them a whiter appearance
- Use a straw. You might not be ready to give up certain stain-causing beverages yet. If you still want to drink coffee, soda or red wine on occasion, you should consider using a straw. If you have a straw, less contact will come between your teeth and the liquid.